Monday, June 9, 2014

Missed Opportunities

After completing my own curriculum barriers template, I began to reflect on the types of methods I use during my instruction.  I like to do direct instruction, modeling, group practice, and then independent practice in my Math class.  This kind of teaching is usually a good model for students to get the right amount of introduction to a topic and practice before they move into the independent work part. Some students would be fine with this kind of instruction all the time, but also there are students that become quickly distracted when they aren't doing work, and students that have low confidence and won't answer questions during group practice time.  One of the teaching techniques I use during the group practice is individual white boards so I can see if students are able to do it on their own or if they need more practice on that particular skill.  Again, when using the UDL barriers template I see that some qualities of interest in drawing may not help specific children, because they continually doodle during the white board instructional time.  I also have students who have very poor handwriting and writing skills, so they find it difficult to look on the board and write the problems down, and also cannot keep their numbers straight and organized on the white board.  

I realized that I can differentiate my instruction to accommodate all the different kinds of learners, and give them a variety ways to show me the answer.  Some students need more confidence, so I make sure I use warm up problems with them, so they build the confidence, and start off the instruction successful.  Other students need to be challenged, so I can give them independent work in their textbook during this time as well.  A great teacher is always reflecting on their own teaching, to see where they can create better learning opportunities for their students.  If we can get past these educational barriers for students, we will see more success in school, while also helping a student become interested in a subject that maybe they had trouble with in the past. 

1 comment:

  1. Liz, I really enjoyed your post because of the combination of UDL principles and self-reflection. You are absolutely right: great teachers are always reflecting on their own teaching. This introduction to UDL that we have had so far has really given me some things to think about. The general math lesson you referenced is how many math lessons are set up in the school I substitute in. I like your idea of using white boards in order to increase engagement and to give students a different way to express their knowledge. However, like you said, more barriers can occur every time you change something. I thought it was very important that you acknowledged that students who are challenged by curriculum and students who are more successful with the curriculum both need to be engaged and addressed in your planning. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete